Friday, March 18, 2005

A Memorium for the Week that Was

Let's start with Saturday, at the record store. My night dipped into the surreal when a lost hiker, who happened to be a Major in the Irish army (actual, not IRA), stopped in for directions. That may have been the coolest half hour I've ever had at a job. If you want the full story, talk to me in person. It just isn't the same story without the Irish accent.

Speaking of Ireland, it was St. Patrick's Day yesterday. Congrats to all of the drunkards who managed to cross the street against the light, and not find a fender up your tailpipe.

In other news, I'm still trying to figure out ways to post some of my work online. By 'trying', I mean that I'm thinking about it in the scant free time.

One thing I can impart is this: You take metonymic theory from Lacan, use it to jump to Auslander's 'persona', and apply it to the use of quotations in the current run of JSA. This creates a great tension between these characters and their legacy, of quotation versus original.

That's the gist of the paper I'm presenting on Wednesday, in San Diego. I realize it doesn't make much sense without the other eight pages of writing. But it took me forever to get that clear, simple progression, so I wanted to share. My advisor kicks so much ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home